Saturday, May 21, 2011
The Hall of Fame for Great Americans is one of the most historically significant landmarks in New York.
It was founded in 1900 in honor of Americans who have impacted and influenced the nation’s history. The Hall of Fame can be found at the Bronx Community College. It was designed as part of the undergraduate college of New York University, and was originated by the 1891 to 1910 Chancellor of the same university, Dr. Henry Mitchell MacCracken.
The Hall of Fame was designed by famous architect Stanford White and financed by a donation made by Mrs. Finley Shepard, a.k.s. Helen Gould, to the New York University. On May 30, 1901, the Hall of Fame was formally dedicated.
The semi-circular structure is built in the Neoclassical style of architecture. It has wings on both ends, and it provides a fantastic view of the Harlem River, the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park and the Palisades. The landmark symbolizes the ingenuity, vitality and intellect of the American individuals who have pushed the nation towards greatness.
The Colonnade is the Hall of Fame’s most prominent feature. The 630-foot al fresco structure is home to the bronze busts of the honorees including Alexander Graham Bell, Eli Whitney and George Westinghouse.
New York Pictures 2009