Saturday, August 19, 2006

Can you get too much of a good thing ??

KENOSHA, Wis. — It might sound like a chocoholic's dream, but slipping into a vat of viscous chocolate became a two-hour nightmare for a 21-year-old man Friday morning. Darmin Garcia, an employee of Debelis Corp., a company that supplies chocolate ingredients, said he was pushing the chocolate down into the vat because it was stuck. But the chocolate gave way, and he slid in. "It was in my hair, in my ears, my mouth, everywhere," said Garcia, who has worked at the company for two years. "I felt like I weighed 900 pounds. I couldn't move."

The chocolate was at 110 degrees — hotter than a hot tub — said Capt. Gregg D. Sinnen of the Kenosha Fire Department. Co-workers, police and firefighters tried to free the man but couldn't get him loose until the chocolate was thinned out with cocoa butter. "It was pretty thick. It was virtually like quicksand," said Police Capt. Randy Berner. Garcia was treated for minor injuries and released.

No comments: