Sunday, July 31, 2011
Pacific Ocean Park began as the Pickering/Lick Piers in 1919 to be destroyed by fire in 1924 and rebuilt in 1926. The only structure that was not destroyed was the Ocean Park Municipal Auditorium built in 1923 which in 1958 was transformed into the USS Nautilus exhibit and the Westinghouse Enchanted Forest.
In 1958 CBS & LA Terf Club (Santa Anita) purchased the Ocean Park Pier. After several years of operation POP closed in 1967 due to costs of maintaining equipment along with insurance. POP sat vacant where it was ravaged by several fires in the early 1970's and was demolished after a major fire in 1974. It was finally demolished in early 1975.