Tuesday, September 13, 2011
The World Trade Center Memorial in Los Angeles is seen following a public memorial ceremony on September 11, 2005. (Photo courtesy Will Campbell)
The Los Angeles Fire Department unveiled the Memorial on September 11, 2003 as a formal remembrance of the 343 New York Firefighters killed in the the World Trade Center collapse, and all who perished in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on our nation.
The 23-ton, approximately 22-foot tall steel column was originally part of the lobby structure of the World Trade Center. Believed to be the largest remnant of the attacks on the west coast, it now rests safely on reinforced concrete pilings that sink nearly 30 feet below ground at the LAFD Training Center in Elysian Park.
The task of delivering, preparing and erecting the monument came at no cost to taxpayers - thanks to a donation of time, material and professional talent by a team of public and private sector volunteers. This group's single and cohesive goal was to assure the courage and sacrifice of those killed would never be forgotten. It is a goal they have achieved, and one that the Los Angeles Fire Department pledges to proudly maintain.
Brightly illuminated, the WTC Memorial is easily viewed at all times. It can be closely approached during weekday business hours by anyone visiting the LAFD Training Center at 1700 Stadium Way, near Dodger Stadium in Elysian Park.
Kindly note: a separate Memorial created by the LAFD Historical Society to honor fallen Los Angeles Firefighters is located adjacent to the LAFD Museum in Hollywood.