Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Concept art comes to life

“The Landing” is among Scott Robertson’s series of sketches and renderings found in his book “Lift Off.”

"One thing I like about this piece is that you can still recognize the building forms that came from my original marker sketch," Robertson says. "A rendering like this is really about having the patience and determination to sit for about a week at the computer and pick away at it. The most enjoyable part was the painting of each ship and the addition of the figures. The process of adding the figures was a fun project. At our studio, there is a decent-sized parking lot. One morning I took a ladder outside, climbed up to match the eye level of my rendering with a camera and then asked my studio partner, Neville Page, to walk to different parts of the parking lot and pose in different positions. The photos were added to the rendering and then painted over to change the clothing and characters."

No comments: