Tuesday, August 06, 2013


1918 Fokker DR.I Triplane



Designed by Dutch designer Anthony Fokker, the Fokker D R, I Triplane was Germany's response to the new Sopwith Triplane that appeared over the Front in early 1917.  By late 1917 The Dr.I Triplane was in full production by the Fokker-Flugzeugwerke and wreaking havoc over Europe in the Great War.  Although its time in operation was very short the Triplane was the most iconic airplane of World War I.  Manfred von Richthofen "The Red Baron" scored many of his 80 victories in a  Dr.I and his life was lost while flying one.  Built from scratch by volunteers at the Golden Age Air Museum in Bethel, Pennsylvania the triplane has an authentic rotary engine and  is built to full operational condition.  It is painted in the colors of Lothar von Richthofen, brother of Manfred, who also served in Jasta 11.  Lothar scored 40 victories and survived the war. 

http://www.goldenageair.org/collection/1918_fokker_dr_i_triplane.htm

No comments: